October 06, 2005

Thank God for Grolsch


It occurred to me some time ago, that text messaging is the most useless form of communication. Here's an example ....
Sean ( the hunter-gatherer from the plains of Africa ) suggests going for a beer, via text message, of course. So I say, "Why not?!". After all, the mountaineering season is over and it's time to hang up the old crampons and mull over the the highlights of the year. But then a series of confusing text messages comes through, suggesting places, times, things that gotta be done first, someone's leaving bash, blah blah blah. And all of it one message at a time !
Now I dunno about you adventurers, but I've got a pay plan which gives me hundreds of free call minutes and zero free texts. So surely the thing to do is to use voice and make a call. And it's sooo much quicker too.
Try telling that to Sean the hunter-gatherer, with his ancient smoke signals and beating drums. And no, he wouldn't use Skype either. I think I know which tribe he belongs to ... it's the Luddites. I'd better not try to take his picture again with my camera phone lest he thinks I'm trying to steal his soul ( he doesn't have one though, he's a Proddie ).
So anyway, I ended up getting a few beers in and watching a few shows on the TV. Got this new one of the net called Firefly. Not bad. Must download the rest. Thank god for the internet or us bums would have nothing to do ...

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting on my blog. I find yours interesting. I definately understand what you were saying. Its not the arguing thats bothering me really, its how I'm being percieved by my parents. I am ready to leave my nest and stretch my wings but that is another source of conflict.

Have a great day.

1:11 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe your friend Sean was out of the house at the time and could not use Skype? And how come if you are moaning about the costs of texts and have this amazing call plan which gives free calls, you did not use it and make a call?
Seems like your friend Sean is a top all round good bloke and maybe you should give the guy a break and go for a beer with him. I also agree that Grolsch is great.

8:51 am  
Blogger xtrailz said...

On the other hand, why didn't Sean just ring up, explain his situation, sort it out, and give all the text messaging a rest ??
Nobody knows, not even Sean, coz that's what happens when you use aluminium cooking pots -- Alzheimers. Sean's brain has more holes in it than a sponge.

12:59 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know Sean. Know him well in fact. Much longer than you and he said he has tried ringing you but you are too busy to answer. I think its the BSE infected meat in combination with aluminium cooking pots and the pewter drinking vessels that have riddle Sean's brain. Whilst there can be no doubt in anybodys mind that self given syphilis is the reason for the holes in your brain.
I think you should give your budy Sean a break and go for a beer with him.

2:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home